Oven roasted corn tastes much different than corn cooked in boiling water. You can cook your corn using different cooking techniques and even eat it raw: you can boil it, grill it, with the husks, without the husks, brush it with oil and spices or just serve it with some salt. It is very hard to ruin a fresh corn on the cob when cooking it.
This is yet another very simple recipe that will help you make perfect corn! no more guessing if it has boiled long enough or burning it on the grill. the corn comes out hot, tender al dente and absolutely delicious! It is also the perfect solution for parties, as it is easier to fit many more corn in the oven than in a pot.
This technique will yield a more firm, crunchy and juicy corn and can serve as a template recipe that you can adjust to your particular taste. If you are up to it, you can follow the same steps described in the directions but instead of using an oven, use a grill. it will be ready in less time but will require more attention. If you would like more detailed instructions about grilling corn, please leave a comment and I will reply to it.
4 ears fresh corn
Sweet chili sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180C).
2. Place corn husks directly on the oven rack and bake for 30 minutes.
3. Take the corn out of the oven using oven gloves and place on a surface like a big plate or a cutting board. I really like these gloves that I linked to, they are heat resistant and still gives you enough flexibility when handling hot things you take out of the oven.
4. You can peel down the husks, using the oven gloves and use as a handle when eating. You can sprinkle some salt and eat it as is, it will be delicious! However, you can proceed with the next step, which will make it more special.
5. Wash the husks in water, this will prevent it from burning while you roast the corn the second time. Twist the husks a little, so it will be easy to hold. You can also make a knot if you feel extremely creative 🙂
6. Brush the corn with some flavored liquid or sauce: Olive oil and salt – will not overpower the corn taste but will enhance its flavor. 3 Parts of soy sauce + 1 part of Mirin – will give you a Japanese style corn (especially if you use your grill instead of your oven). Sweet chili sauce – will give it a sweetness and spiciness. Be creative and flavor it as you like. If you are brushing it with a thick dressing that might drop in your oven – it is wise to place a baking pan underneath the corn rack.
7. Place the corn back in the oven and bake for additional 15-30 minutes until slightly brown.